WSP Student Blogs

Friday, September 24, 2010

Comments on the Graduate Gateway Program


"The Gateway New Media and Communications semester at American University was an amazing opportunity for growth. The graduate-level seminars and my internship at National Geographic allowed me to expand on my undergraduate education, narrow my focus of interest in the communications and marketing fields, and prepared me in a unique and elevated way to enter the work force.  Among the highlights were meeting with legendary journalists such as CBS newsman Bob Schieffer; touring the White House and the Senate Press Gallery; sitting in on an oral argument with the Justices at the Supreme Court, and sailing across the Chesapeake Bay with Maryland policy makers to learn how the media impacts environmental issues. I also got to live in the heart of Washington, D.C., one of the world's most beautiful and influential cities.  Our professor, Iris Krasnow, encouraged me to find my passion, and really connected me with the specialty in the field of Communications that best suits me.  I am thrilled to announce that shortly after completing the Graduate Gateway Program, I was hired as the Marketing Coordinator for a nationally-know architecture firm based in Georgetown. Without Professor Krasnow's encouragement, without the exposure, and without the jump-start the program provided, I would not have landed the job of my dreams. My semester was indeed a Gateway!"
 
-Lia Roth, 2009 graduate, Roanoke College

No comments:

Post a Comment